Life is BUSY. With an almost 3 year old running around the house and a baby due. Any. day. It takes a bit of effort to have snacks on hand that are nutrient dense, easy to grab and go, and most importantly TODDLER APPROVED.
This grain free granola is so easy to throw together (so EASY that I am actually making it while I write this post!) and adapt to your own tastes. Don't like dried cherries? Swap 'em out. Need a chocolate fix? Throw in some cacao nibs when its cooled a bit.
GRAIN FREE GRANOLA
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flake
- 2 cups raw almonds (slivered almonds work well here)
- 1 1/4 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp ground Flax
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (use what you have on hand - cane sugar also works here)
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup dried fruit (cherries, raisins, cranberries all work great!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and position a rack in the center of the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut, nuts, chia seeds, flax seed, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and salt.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the coconut oil and maple syrup and pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet (may require two depending on size) and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove from oven, add dried fruit and stir.
- Increase heat to 340 degrees and return to oven for another 5-8 minutes. Keep your eye on the granola - it should be crisping up nicely thanks to that coconut oil.
- Once the granola is visibly browned and done cooking, remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Store in a container with an air-tight seal - we use a large mason jar - and it should keep for a few weeks, but it never lasts that long in our house.